Nasi Goreng is an Indonesian Rice dish that literally means Fried Rice. This is an essentially simple recipe, perfect for a weeknight dinner. Just because it’s a weekday doesn’t mean you can’t have good food, right?
This is a perfect recipe to use leftover rice. That’s mostly common for all fried rice recipes. You can check out the Indo-Chinese Fried Rice recipe here.
What is special about this fried rice is a sweet soy sauce (Kecap Manis). If you can find it, good for you, use it. I didn’t have that. So I made it at home essentially. Another ingredient which is optional but does add that umami or fragrance is Shrimp paste. It does have a nasty smell though while cooking. But once you are done cooking, you won’t get that smell in your dish. This is again optional.
So let’s get to the recipe.
- 1 cup cooked refrigerated rice (at least overnight)
- 250 grams Chicken breast. cut into small portions
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp brown sugar/palm sugar
- 1 tbsp red chilli flakes (adjust according to preference)
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste (Optional)
- Oil to cook
- 2 Poached eggs to serve on top
- Take the refrigerated rice out the the fridge.
- Make the sweet soy sauce first if you are not using a store bought version. In a pan, add the soy sauce and the sugar. Let the sugar melt completely and allow it to caramelize a bit till the soy sauce has a nice, bit thick sticky consistency. That’s all to it. This will yield about 3 tbsp of sauce.
- In a pan, heat some oil. Add the onion and fry it for couple minutes. Don’t let it turn brown. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the chilli flakes. Then add the chicken pieces. Let the chicken cook a bit for 2-3 minutes. Then add 1 tbsp of sweet soy sauce and the shrimp paste. Make sure the shrimp paste is completely dissolved.
- Then add the rice and the rest of the sweet soy sauce. Mix it well and let the rice get completely coated in that sticky sweet soy sauce. Then turn off the gas.
- Remember, if you are using shrimp paste, you don’t need to add salt to it separately. If not, add salt as per requirement.
- Serve it with poached egg on top. Garnish with some spring onions. This dish usually serves two.