Strawberry season is coming up and am excited. It’s one of the fresh berries one can find in India and it’s local. Since the available time frame is very limited, I didn’t want to miss out on any Strawberry recipes.
So here’s to the season’s first strawberry recipe.
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 100 grams cold butter, cubed
- Ice water 1/4 cup
- Pinch of salt
- Cling wrap
- 2 sheets of parchment paper
- 2 tbsp organic strawberry preserve
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- Fresh strawberries, thinly slices
- 1 egg
- For the pie base, add flour, sugar and salt to a food processor. Or you can also do this by hand. Pulse it once to give everything a mix. Now add the cubed butter into it and pulse a couple of time till the mixture looks like a crumb. If you are doing it by hand, you can use a pastry cutter. Now add the ice water slowly. Whisk it till all it all starts to come together. Don’t over work it or whish till it form a dough. This will make the pie hard. Take out the dough mixture in a plate and put it in a cling wrap. Using the end of the cling wrap, shape it in a disc and cover it. Again, do not knead or over-work the dough. Put it in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Now once the dough has rested, take it out. Put it in between two sheets of lightly floured parchment paper. This trick works really well specially if you live in a warm place. Start rolling out the dough between the parchment paper. Roll it to around 1 cm thickness. Cut them in any shape you want. Here I used cookie cutters of different shape. I made each shape in a set of two for my handpies.
- For the filling, I went very simple. Some cream cheese and Organic Strawberry preserve. Soften the cream cheese and then add the strawberry preserve to it and that’s it.
- Now put a little filling between the two layer of pies along with some fresh pieces of strawberry. Press the sides well and seal using a fork to press the two layers together.
- Beat 1 egg with 1 tbsp water. Brush the egg mixture on top of the pies and sprinkle some granulated sugar. Make a small cross on the top so that the steam can escape.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree. Transfer the pies in a baking tray and bake them for 16-20 minutes or until the top is golden and nice.
- You can make these with any fillings you want and enjoy.