Posto or poppy seed or khus khus is a very common ingredient in a bengali household. There’s so many recipes using poppy seed, most of them vegetarian.
Here’s one of my favorite recipe of Posto, just using 3 main ingredients.
- 1/4 cup poppy seed
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 green chilli (adjust as per your preference)
- Mustard oil, 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak poppy seed in 1/2 cup water for one hour.
- After an hour, put the poppy seed in a blender jar with green chilli. Blend them till there’s a smooth mixture.
- Take it out in a bowl. Add the chopped onions and salt. Mix it well.
- Heat oil in a pan. Take a scoop of the mixture onto you palms and shape them like to round flat disc. Put it carefully on the pan. Don’t put more than 3 to 4 bore/fritters on the pan.
- Let them fry for around 5 minutes on low and carefully turn them to fry the other side. Once both side is nice brown, take them off the pan.
- Serve it with some Bengali dal and alu bhaja (Fried potatoes).