Fried rice is super easy to make if you know the trick. Your rice need to be cooked and cooled. that’s it. So it’s super easy if you have leftover rice from previous day or from weekend. I often intentionally make more rice if I want to make fried rice the next day. If you don’t have leftover rice, make it couple of hours ago, let it cool completely and then make fried rice out of it.
So let’s jump into it.
- Leftover rice, or fresh rice cooled
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- half small carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp green chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp red chilli sauce
- 1/2 tbsp schezwan sauce
- Spring onion
- 1 1/2 tsp oil to cook
- salt to taste
- Any protein, eggs or chicken (optional)
- The most important thing is to have your rice ready. If you have leftover rice, take out out from fridge and let it sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes. I also like to microwave the rice on high for 30 seconds. If you are cooking the rice the same day, what you can do is cook the rice in the morning, while making breakfast. Using a fork fluff the rice a little bit and then drizzle some oil on it and allow it to cool completely.
- It’s very important to have your rice ready before you start cooking.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the ginger garlic paste. Saute it for 30 seconds. If you are making Chicken Fried Rice, add the chicken first. Cook it until lightly brown. Then add the onions and carrots. Add the cabbage after. I like my veggies to have a bit of crunch. So I don’t cook them for very long. Cook the veggies as per your preference. If you are making Egg Fried Rice, add the eggs when the veggies are almost cooked.
- In a bowl, mix all the sauces and vinegar well. Add the sauce mixture to the veggies. Saute it for a minute. Put the gas on low. Then add the rice. Don’t put all the rice at once. Add a bit. Mix them well and then add the next batch. Mix until the rice is mixed well with the sauce and veggies.
- Be very careful about the salt you add to the fried rice as the sauces already have salt in them. Always do a taste test. Also you can add any veggies you have in hand.
- You can make some Chilli Chicken to go with it as well if you have time. Find my Chilli Chicken recipe here.