I love a good loaf of Banana Bread, no doubt there. But, I think it has had a bit too much of glory while there are other amazing options as well, like a Date Walnut bread. Naturally sweetened because of the date this also packs texture from the walnuts. This is also a hit at my house because my husband hates banana, and so banana bread as well.
I have made these as muffins but you can also bake a loaf using this recipe.
- 1 cups chopped, deseeded dates
- 1/4 cups dried cranberries (optional)
- 1/4 cups chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour (Maida)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup hot boiling water
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- Take the chopped dates and cranberries in a bowl and add the baking soda. Give it a mix and add the boiling water. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree and line a muffin tray.
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl whip in butter and eggs. Now add the wet ingredients in the dry ingredients and mix well until there’s no lump. Now add the date mixture. Mix it with a spatula. Add in the vanilla essence.
- Place the mixture in the muffin tray and bake for around 20-25 minutes, until done. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve it with a drizzle of jaggery syrup.