I wanted to have waffles for breakfast and didn’t have any eggs. Hence, I made these vegan waffles. They taste equally good. I made a classic version but you can always add flavors to it.
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup plant milk
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 1/4 cup jaggery powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter + more for brushing
- In a cup of milk, add the vinegar and let it sit for 10 minutes. Also take the flax meal in a bowl and add 3 tbsp water. Mix it well and let it sit for 10 minutes. I buy flax seeds and make a powder of them at home, mostly to use in my smoothies.
- In a large mixing bowl shift all the dry ingredients. Combine them well and then add the Milk mixture and the flax eggs (flax meal mixture).
- Combine them well and ensure there’s no lump. Add the butter and the jaggery powder. Mix it until it’s fully incorporated.
- I use silicon waffles moulds for making waffles. So pre-heat your oven to 180 degree centigrade if you are using waffle moulds. Else, heat up your waffle maker.
- Put the waffle moulds in an oven safe tray or a rack. This needs to be done before pouring the mixture, else you won’t be able to transfer them. Use butter to brush the surface of the mould. Pour the waffle batter into the mould and put it in the oven for around 20 minutes. Keep an eye on the waffles. Once the waffles start leaving the sides of the mould, it’s done.
- Let them cool a bit and then pop them in the toaster to crisp up a bit more.
- If you are making them if waffles makers, then cook them until brown and crispy.
- Serve it with some vegan butter o top and raw honey or maple syrup. Add any fruits if you want to.