Torta Caprese is an Italian Chocolate Almond cake. It is flour less, and a dense cake.
I really wanted to try this recipe and there’s no many variation of the recipe. Here’s my version of the recipe.
- 200 grams almond flour or almond meal
- 200 grams dark chocolate
- 200 grams butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- Handful of almonds
- pinch of salt
- This recipe uses almond flour, that is nothing but ground peeled almond. For this recipe you can also use almond meal which is ground almond where you don’t need to remove the peel. You can make your almond flour or almond meal at home or use store bought one.
- Prepare all your ingredients first. Melt the butter and chop the chocolate in rough pieces. Put the chocolate pieces in hot melted butter and let it sit for 5 minutes. Separate your egg yolks and egg whites. Stir your chocolate and butter mixture well after 5 minutes so that the chocolate melts. Dry roast the almonds and cut them in small flakes.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degree centigrade. Line a cake pan with a baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together egg yolks and half cup of butter till it’s pale. Add the chocolate mixture to it and mix well. Slowly incorporate the almond flour to the mixture. Add the pinch of salt and make sure everything is well incorporated.
- In a separate clean bowl, beat the egg whites. Once it’s frothy, gradually start mixing rest of the sugar. Don’t add all of the sugar at once. Beat till it forms stiff peak. The best check for this is to invert the bowl. If your egg whites are properly beaten, it won’t fall when you invert the bowl.
- Now with a spatula, just incorporate the egg whites to the other mixture. Don’t over mix it.
- At the bottom of the pan, place the almond flakes and spread them. Pour the batter in the cake pan and level the top. It should be a thick mixture if you follow the given measurements.
- Bake it in the oven for 40-45 minutes. After a 10 minutes standing time, take it out and let it cool completely in the cake mold itself.
- Once completely cooled, take it out of the mold and put the bottom side up where you can see your almond flakes.
- Dust it with some powdered sugar and you have your delectable Torta Caprese ready.