This is one of the first dishes I ever cooked. I have made it so many times since then and perfected it. It’s just ideal for a busy day when you don’t even have 30 minutes to cook a meal.
This will take a maximum of 15 minutes of your involvement, no standing in front of stove or stirring. I always make this when I know I have a busy day and won’t have time to make lunch.
- 250-300 grams boneless chicken
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 4 tbsp curd/yogurt
- 1 large onion – chopped nice and thin, preferably
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp ginger paste and 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder (or you can use green chilly paste)
- 1 tbsp Garam masala
- Salt to taste
- In a Microwave safe dish, in which you are going to cook the dish, add curd, oil, all spices except Garam masala, and salt. Add in the onion and ginger garlic paste.
- Mix all the ingredients well and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Always use a glass bowl and not plastic bowl for cooking in Microwave, even if it says Microwave safe. You can use the plastic ones if you are re-heating food for a minute or two.
- Also wash the rice and let it soak for 30 minutes.
- When you are ready to cook, put the marinated chicken in microwave for 3 minutes at high. This step is similar to when we let the spices cook first on stove top.
- Drain the water from the rice and keep it ready.
- After 3 minutes take the dish out of microwave, add in the rice and coat it well with the chicken mixture. Add 1 1/2 cup of water to it and ensure the rice is submerged into water. For me this rice to water ratio works perfectly and gives me nice and fluffy rice. You might need 1 or 2 trials to ensure what works for you.
- Now put the dish back into your microwave, set it on high for around 11 minutes.
- In my microwave, it usually takes around 13 minutes to cook 1 cup rice on 1 1/2 cup water. So I follow the timing for this Pulao.
- After 11 minutes, take the rice out. You will still have some water left in it.
- Add ghee and Garam masala to the rice. Mix it well without breaking the rice. Put it back in your microwave for the final 2 minutes again on high.
- So that’s 13 minutes of cooking the rice, 11 minutes in the 1st round and final 2 minutes.
- Serve it with some raita/curd and pickle. If you have time, add some salad to the side. There you have your super easy lunch ready without spending a lot of time and it tastes so good.
- This recipe serves 2 for us.