I have been seeing Sitaphal (Custard apple/Sugar apple or Aata in Bengali) available in market for last couple of weeks. So finally I got some and decided to make sitaphal kulfi. There was this amazing shop near my office in Kolkata that used to sell so many flavors of Kulfi and Sitaphal was one of my favorite.
So, here’s my recreation of my favorite kulfi flavor. This is not a no-cook version. I have made them earlier and it’s great. But this is divine. Do try this out. It doesn’t take very long.
- 1 litre milk (don’t use low fat, it won’t taste this good)
- 1 cup milk powder
- 1/3 cup condensed milk
- 2 tbsp sugar, may adjust as per your preference
- Sitaphal pulp, I have used 3 sitaphal for this
- Pinch of salt
- Pistachio for decoration (optional)
- Place the milk in a heavy bottom pan and put it on stove. Once the milk is a bit warm, add the milk powder. Don’t add all the milk powder together or it will form lumps. Every time you add milk powder, stir it well, make sure there’s no lump and it’s completely mixed with milk, and then add some more.
- Keep stirring the milk once in a while and let it boil. Once it boils, add the salt and sugar mix well and let it simmer. Put your stove on medium low.
- Once the milk has reduce by a third, add the condensed milk. Mix it well. Continue reducing it further.
- Puree 2/3rd of the sitaphal pulp in a mixer and add it to the milk after 5 minutes. Mix it well.
- Once you see the milk has reduced further and it’s creating a nice coat on the back of your laddle, it’s done. Do a taste test now if you want to add more sugar. For me, this proportion works perfectly.
- Add the rest of the sitaphal pulp, mix them well and turn off your stove. The sitaphal pulp gives a nice bite to the kulfi.
- Let it cool down and then transfer it to the dish in which you want to freeze these. Cover it with aluminium foil and put it in the freezer to set.
- If you want to get a stick kulfi and not setting them in a kulfi mold, add the stick after it has been in freezer for around 2 hours. It won’t hold straight if you put it in before.
- Let them freeze for at least 12 hours.
- While serving, put some pistachio flakes on top and enjoy.