Kheer for Bengalis is a different delicacy altogether. It’s not a rice pudding.
But then again, we are unique. Peanuts are “Badaam” to us. So no wonder we don’t play by the rules.
Coming back, this is a simple recipe with only 3 ingredients, but very very time consuming. You will be standing in front of your gas stove for for quite some time and your hand is sure going to hurt after this. But, it’s worth it.
- 1 litre + 1 tbsp milk
- 5 tbsp sugar (adjust as per your preference)
- 1 tsp all purpose flour (maida)
- Put 1 litre milk to boil in a heavy bottom pan.
- Once the milk starts boiling, add the sugar. Mix well.
- Put the gas on low and start stirring continuously. Scrape the bottom of the pan as well.
- The milk will start changing color as it thickens. Do not leave it unattended and keep stirring.
- Once the milk reduces to half, add the flour and milk mixture to this. Ensure there’s no lump in the mixture. Mix it well.
- Keep stirring and scraping the bottom and the sides.
- It’s done when the liquid is mostly evaporated and the mixture starts to stick to the spoon as a single clump.
- You can eat it just like that or use it for patishapta filling.